Email me!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I know that some of you, visiting this blog are perhaps thinking x-rated thoughts of me (one can only hope, right?), but when it comes to hiring me to be your very own creativity coach, someone to help you get your mind right, you're all, "Oh, no, I'm fine. Fine and dandy! I don't need a coach." Alas.
Because that means...I failed. I haven't gotten across to you that EVERYBODY needs a coach. A coach is someone in your corner, someone to brainstorm with, someone to bounce ideas off of, a coach is that disinterested party who wants you to succeed, dammit! As I always tell my clients, I nag because I love. And I also nag because a successful life is truly a collaborative process. Especially in this crap economy.
The importance of collaboration was brought home to me the other night as I was reading Bert Lahr's "Prick Up Your Ears;" the biography of one of my favorite playwrights, Joe Orton. (Can't recommend it highly enough!) Overall it is an excellent book about about the all-too-short life fascinating man, but what I found truly gripping were the chapters detailing the creative process through which Orton created some of his masterpieces, such as "Entertaining Mr. Sloane" and "Loot." I wasn't surprised by the hundreds of rewrites Orton did...but the fact that at the beginning, Orton didn't even know how "Entertaining Mr. Sloane" would end. Someone else suggested the ending! "Loot" meanwhile was rewritten for months...there were many times, when it seemed the play would never get off the ground.
Meanwhile, you, out there, think you don't need a coach or a mentor, to life you out of your stagnant comfort zone...?

No comments:

Post a Comment