Email me!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why I Love Stephane Hessel

I heard the story this morning about 94 year old Stephane Hessel, a member of the French Resistance, who just wrote a book, Time for Outrage, about the need for young people to stand up for what they believe in...and I might be in love. (And it's not just that at 94, I don't seriously have to worry about making a long-term commitment...ha! Joke. Sorta.)
No, what I'm in love with is a 94 year-old man who is still out there living life, and being true to his values. Not to mention, he can quote Shakespeare. Literary men! (I've dated unemployed men still living with their mothers, because they could quote poetry to me. Then again, that was in Russia wherein living with your mother is not necessarily something out of the ordinary.) I'm going to have to restrain myself from sending Mr. Hessel a fan letter on Garfield stationery, in pink script, telling him how much he blows my mind.
Because I adore people, at any age, who have the courage of their convictions. How can one not be inspired by a 94 year old who is still fully present in his life and passions? Listen, I have days when I think I deserve the Nobel Peace Prize for having taken a shower, applied mascara and met, productively, with clients... because all really wanted to do was eat my weight in Taco Bell, wash it down with whiskey (chased with even more whiskey), and watched a full-days worth of "Locked Up Abroad" episodes. (Speaking of Taco Bellhttp://www.nuttynewstoday.com/?p=51698 Can you really blame him? Or, as a dear friend said: "Hot sauce is half the point of going to Taco Bell!")
Here's a link to NPR's story on Mr. Hessel: http://www.wnyc.org/npr_articles/2011/sep/22/wwii-survivor-stirs-literary-world-with-outrage/

No comments:

Post a Comment